Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Runaways: Pride & Joy" by Marvel Comics

I grew up on comic books. As a kid, I had all the superhero comics, along with every Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and maybe even a few Archie comics (though the local store never seemed to stock them) as well as a healthy supply of Scrooge McDuck. But this was in the day when a kid could traipse his little legs down to the local drugstore, dig a quarter out of his pocket, and purchase his latest favorite.

Today, with comics (now called graphic novels), costing ten quarters rather than one, the ease with which to acquire them is no longer that simple.

Nevertheless, no matter what hardships the economy may throw at a former 'kid', that same interest in fantastical stories never wanes.

Enter this story. The cover failed to grab me (as if I was searching for something in that process). Six teen kids of various personalities was of no interest to one past those years. The title, at first sight, made no difference. Plain and ordinary, it stir nothing in the imagination. However, coupled with what I found on the back, I found myself intrigued:

      "At some point in their lives, all young people believe their parents are evil... but what if they really are?"

Okay. You hooked me. What else have you got?

     
"When these six young friends discover their parents are all secretly super-powered villains, the shocked teenagers find strength in one another. Together, they run away from home and straight into the adventure of their lives - vowing to turn the tables on their evil legacy."

I had to read. No doubt about it. An original idea. A super-powered connection. Six very different teenagers. What would this story entail? Could it relate to my former teen mind, culling forth my own memories of those long-ago days?

0 comments:

Post a Comment